6/30/2004

Inventors

What do inventors do when they can't sleep? Why they document their inventions of course...

Actually I've been tinkering with this little invention since Sunday. I'm finally convinced that it is new, and that I finally have a presentation worth showing.

So from the dawn of time people have pondered the rpblems of wasted paper from the laser printer. I and others have come to use that paper to protect the CDs that we burn. The sleves made from wasted office paper are rugged enough to protect the discs in a drawer, satchel or backpack and don't take up nearly the same amount of space as a jewel case or other hardened case.

So there's a couple of places you can go to get the instructions for folding paper CD cases from wasted office paper. There's even some very nice sites that have a form that will print out a custom PDF for you to print pertinant info onto your CD case.

Thes are nice, handy and easy, but I always was bothered by the fact that those cases create a square cover from a rectangular piece of paper. It's very handy, but I never felt that it was traditional origami. Of course the early paper folders of Japan and China didn't have this problem to solve, but grant me my little artistic bigotries please.

So I set out so create an origami CD cover from an 8 1/2" square piece of paper. and what you see below is the result. I drew in the red line art just for fun. I didn't have any one sided colored paper about, and I wanted to show the front/back differences, it also reminds me of the corner dipped paper I used to get as a kid.

unfolded frontunfolded back (folding instructs)
folded frontfolded back


Fold in on the solid lines, fold out on the dotted lines, tuck in all four corners and there you go!

until I hear otherwise, this is my copyrighted design. and I'm placing it under a Creative Commons license.

Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

This work is registered on Common Content here
I'll get better instructions up woth some better diagrams soon.

And before I forget, There's a folding variation, if you reverse the four large outer folds and let the smaller onse reverse as needed, all of the outer paper will be visible, you won't have any visible back.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark for the idea, how long will it be until you have detailed instructions for those of use who are dumbfounded by origami? Detailed step by step pictures would be nice too, some of us are very visual learners, including me!

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Dreff said...

I keep not getting around to this. I have my folds memorized and go from a blank slate. One of these days I'll have the time to do both fold instruction sets, and distribute the printable cover that I've built in the Gimp. I'll make sure to add the instructions to the blog when they're finally finished.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Videomatic said...

It is a beautyful design. Please, add a vote for detailed instruccions.

For an idea, you can check:
http://www.papercdcase.com

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home